ADSM-L

Re: ADSM 9840 & Compression

2000-02-14 10:19:35
Subject: Re: ADSM 9840 & Compression
From: John Naylor <John.Naylor AT SCOTTISH-SOUTHERN.CO DOT UK>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 15:19:35 +0000
What you see depends on the original data.
Aix is an example where you can get very good compression on 9840.
In fact when we were doing our testing on os390 one of my colleagues wrote a
little program just to exercise the tape decks which was just generating
alphabetic patterns across blocks and that got 130 gb on a tape. Unfortunately
in the real world data data does not come like that.

John

"Long, Matt" <Matt.Long AT MARRIOTT DOT COM> on 14/02/2000 14:45:07