ADSM-L

Win2K Backup Client

2000-02-13 19:26:20
Subject: Win2K Backup Client
From: Simon Watson <simon.s.watson AT SHELL.COM DOT BN>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 08:26:20 +0800
All,

I have just been through the previous entries on this topic.  It
appears that there will be support for Win2K clients once Win2K is
officially released, however this support will be limited and will not
include the new functionality included in Win2k.  This support will
only be in the TSM 3.7 release, and not 3.1 which is reasonable.

This is obviously a very important issue for those shops who will be
moving early to Win2k and are currently using ADSM, particularly if
they want to utilise any of the newer features in Win2k.

For those who have been in close contact with IBM on this issue, or
indeed the IBM development group themselves, would you care to comment
on the planned timing of TSM releases that will support the new
features of Win2k.

As I understand it Veritas BackupExec (Seagate product) is the only
product that has full support for Win2K already.  If anybody has
information to the contrary that would also be interesting.  Does it
really support the new Win2k features?

There are advanced plans within my oranisation to introduce Win2k in a
big way, and at this stage TSM is not being considered due to it's lack
of support for the new features.  If we had a good timetable where this
support would be available then it may be possible to fight the cause.
Without such information it will be very difficult.

Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Simon