ADSM-L

Re: 3494 Tape Libraries

2000-02-10 23:06:07
Subject: Re: 3494 Tape Libraries
From: "Brian T. Huntley" <bth AT CLARKSON DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 23:06:07 -0500
On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Simon Watson wrote:

// >I'd be interested to know Simon (if you know) why IBM said not to touch
// >it as this is contrary to the advice we have been given by IBM in UK?
//
// Sheelagh,
//
// I was informed by IBM that it was an IBM CE job to maintain, and that
// we should not touch it.  Basically we should treat it not as another
// computer, but as any other normal piece of hardware like a tape drive.
// This was fine with me, however I think it is about time we asked a few
// questions about how it is setup, and what redundancy features are
// included.
//
// Regards,
// Simon
//
Simon... My $.02: I agree that we should push to get more details on how
the system is configured.  We were given the same instructions as you, but
security concerns abound... not the least of which is the fact that this
machine, which is on my network, (and therefore I am responsible for
anything that comes from it) has many seemingly pointless ports open
including SMTP and FTP, among others.  Being a security paranoid sysadmin,
it concerns me that these potential 'open doors' exist, and I have no
ability to change that...

 - Best regards, Brian

| Brian T. Huntley                         Systems and Network Engineer |
| Campus Information Services, Clarkson University                      |
| Ph/FAX: 315.268-2292/6570                                             |
| bth AT clarkson DOT edu                                 www.clarkson.edu/cis |
 UNIX *is* user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.
        PGP Public Key available. finger bth AT clarkson DOT edu