ADSM-L

Re: dbbackup/pipe to system mail?

2000-02-10 19:26:48
Subject: Re: dbbackup/pipe to system mail?
From: Russell Street <russells AT AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 13:26:48 +1300
> Is there a way to pipe the output of an administrative command to
> system mail?

No.  You could use a script to wait for the command to complete.  The
most recent backup tape should be written to VOLUMEHISTORY file, so
you could then extract from the last N entries and send it off..

        ( dsmadmc -id=xxx -pass=yyy backup db type=full .... wait=yes ;
          echo last volume history entries are...; \
          egrep BACKUP /path/to-history | tail -20 ) |
        mailx -s 'ADSM db backup'  whoever

> W/r to this dumping the database to DLT... I guess my question is a
> serialization issue.  If I do this dump while the ADSM server is running
> but I'm certain that it is `quiet`, i.e. no procs, no sessions, am I going
> to get a consistent database if I restore it?

If you use the backup db command you will always get a consistent
database to restore.

While the backup is running ADSM stores all update transactions into
the recovery log.  When the backup completes it rolls the transactions
onto the database volumes.

If you restore the database you roll back to the system state at the
START of the backup.  I do not believe that ADSM will append logged
transactions to the end of the database backup.

> I realize that the best way to do it would be to shut the server
> down, then do the dump but I'd like to not do that if I don't have
> to.

The offline versions are the dumpdb/loaddb commands.  Generally
considered harmful with very slow restore times.

You can shutdown the server process and then use tar/cpio/ufsdump etc
to backup the database volumes AND the log volumes.

You can not back up the ADSM database files while ADSM is running.
When you come to restore, ADSM will die in a screaming heap.

The ADMIN Guide has a lot of information on how to backup and restore
the ADSM database.

Russell