ADSM-L

Re: DRM question

2000-02-10 11:16:15
Subject: Re: DRM question
From: Lawrence Clark <Larry_Clark AT THRUWAY.STATE.NY DOT US>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 11:16:15 -0500
For recovery of the ADSM server we will use DRM to prepare a recovery plan.
since I am not yet familiar with DRM, I'm wondering if not having the volumes
marked offsite will cause problems monitoring their status. I did a cursory
review of the docs and defined machines, included the hardware for the AIX
machines in the ADSM database and generated a disaster recovery doc using the
prepare command and noticed that the two  copypool volumes that held todays
data  were marked as destroyed in the scripts.

My thinking was that if we implemented a second tape library at a second site
to hold the copypool volumes, I would eliminate changing their status to
offsite each day and having them available for automatic reclamation. For my
script based method that would wotk fine, but DRM has certain assumptions built
into it, one of which is that all equipment used with the server is 'onsite'
and destroyed in a disaster senario.

Larry Clark
NYS Thruway Authority

>>> Nick Cassimatis <nickpc AT US.IBM DOT COM> 02/10/00 09:02AM >>>
>Yes, but what if you do not do the drmedia commands?

I'd say, with having the second library live, that you probably don't need
DRM.  However, what precautions are you taking in case your ADSM Server
dies?

Nick Cassimatis
nickpc AT us.ibm DOT com

If you don't have the time to do it right the first time, where will you
find the time to do it again?