ADSM-L

Tivoli - DRM: To buy or not to buy...

2000-02-08 11:08:47
Subject: Tivoli - DRM: To buy or not to buy...
From: Marita Gonsalves <marita_gonsalves AT CARYACADEMY.PVT.K12.NC DOT US>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 11:08:47 -0500
Hello all,
We have made the decision to upgrade from ADSM 2.1 to Tivoli 3.7.  We did
not get DRM with ADSM 2.1 because it wasn't very automated and didn't do
enough for the $$ they were asking for.  I read the blurb at
http://www.tivoli.com/products/index/disaster_recover_mgr/
<http://www.tivoli.com/products/index/disaster_recover_mgr/>  .
Unfortunately, that doesn't give me enough information to justify getting
DRM.  Our environment is very small compared to what I've seen on this
listserv.  We backup about 40 GBs of data.  Fortunately for us, we've had no
major DR issues in the last 3 years (and I fervently hope it stays that
way:-)) - just a few minor skirmishes with the database getting corrupt,
etc. We average about 2  minor restores a week.
So my question to all you TSM/ADSM gurus are: what "cannot-survive-without"
feature(s) does the new DRM have that would help convince me (and my boss)
that we should get it?  How labor intensive is it to set up?  Once set up,
how much administrator/operator intervention is required to maintain it?

Thanks,

                Marita Gonsalves
                Information Services Consultant
                http://web1.caryacademy.pvt.k12.nc.us