ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 17:33:43
so your retain extra is 35 days and your retain only is 100...
machine is offline for 35 days... on the 36th day any "extra" copies older
than 35 days goes away...
so if a file changes daily and suddenly the client goes off line... on the
36th day you would have 4 copies, on the 37th day you would have 3 copies,
on the 38th day you would have 2 copies and on the 39th day you would be
down to the last copy
NOW if the client never again pushes an incremental, after 100 days you will
be down to only the active restore set for the box...
and that active restore set will remain under adsm until
a) storage media goes bad and the data is lost
b) you perform a "delete file yournode *" and force purge the data

Ok, on your backup management class you will have copy groups for backups &
archives...
what are your backup numbers for versions exist, versions deleted, retain
extra, retain only? ? ?
OK, Im attaching an excel spread sheet "retention.xls" that maps out such
things...
I did this by actually working on a test box, altering and not altering
client files and just waiting a heck of a long time to view the results...
this was a while back (I think maybe with 3.1.1.5 server) but it should
still hold true
 <<retention.xls>>
give this a look and yell if you require further explination

later,
   Dwight