ADSM-L

Re: Very slow restore of Exchange 5.5 IS

2000-02-07 12:35:17
Subject: Re: Very slow restore of Exchange 5.5 IS
From: "France, Don (Pace)" <don.france-eds AT EDS DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 11:35:17 -0600
Every time I've seen less than 5 GB/hr on backup I get suspicious;  restores
are going to be slower (if only because writing back to client disk takes
longer than reading), our backups generally run at least 20 GB/hr.  We
recently did an  Exchange IS restore, was 16 GB but the upgrade from 5.0 to
5.5 took it down to 12 GB;  the restore took about 35 minutes... this is on
100Mbps Ethernet, AIX-H50 to NT on CompaQ box.

Check your network options (ie, the NIC card) and any switch or hub you're
using;  we seen problems with BayNetworks if AutoSense=On, overcome by
forcing it to 100 Mbps... alternatively, we've seen Cisco switch with
degraded performance with AutoSense=Off --- so it depends on your vendor,
microcode levels, NIC settings (AutoSense on vs. off).  Also, check the
tuning parameters for ADSM --- see online RedBook.

Don France

Technical Architect, P.A.C.E.
San Jose, CA
mailto:dfrance AT pacbell DOT net