ADSM-L

Re: Win2K backup client

2015-10-04 17:33:43
Subject: Re: Win2K backup client
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Hi Len,

We will officially support Windows 2000 when it is officially
launched (target date 2/17/2000). The support will be with our
existing 3.7.1 client. Windows 2000 is *not* supported in the
3.1 product.

As a rule, we do not extend support to operating systems that
are in beta (or other non-GA status). However, we have a lot
of developers and testers working on the Windows 2000 beta/
release candidate versions, and it seems to work fine. The
client can back up the same stuff that it does on the other
Windows versions; however, it does not support a lot of the
new Windows 2000 features, as described in the README file.

We are working on adding support for features that are new
in Windows 2000. Our current target is for some time in the
second quarter of 2000.*** See "STANDARD DISCLAIMER" below.

Unicode support is a *huge* effort, and is expected to
happen later, more towards the end of the year.*** See
"STANDARD DISCLAIMER" below.

*** STANDARD DISCLAIMER about not being an official
announcement is in effect: I am providing this information
just to let you know what our current intentions are, but
this does not represent a formal announcement or commitment.

Best regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM
e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com
"The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked."

The client at latest has a long list of outstanding missing parts
listed in the readme file. I was hoping that tsm had something better
in the wings.

I believe that I had heard that our pc folks had recieved the
final copy of the w2k code and the launch is only a short time
down the road, so does that mean that w2k is supported. Or do we
have to wait until launch on the 17th?

Then again I was hoping that 3.7 would include the support to
backup up an nt server with files that use multipe code pages
stored on it.AKA full unicode support for files.

len