ADSM-L

Re: Easy ADSM?

2000-02-04 02:27:49
Subject: Re: Easy ADSM?
From: Simon Watson <simon.s.watson AT SHELL.COM DOT BN>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 15:27:49 +0800
Eric,

I would not recommend aseparate library for offsite pools.  The more
you can keep it all together in one library the better you are able to
share it's resources.  At some times you want as many drives as
possible available, eg a large system restore, or when you flush your
disk pools to tape, so it is best for ADSM to be able to use all
available drives at these times.  You really only need enough spare
slots in the library to hold enough scratch tapes for the daily
incemental backups to be copied to tape.  In our case we backup about
50 GB per day, which fits on 2 3590 (E format) tapes.  You also need
another scratch tape for a daily DB backup.  So that is 3 tapes per day
to go offsite!  Easy.  The DRM helps in managing these tapes & their
movements offsite & back onsite again when they are scratched.  This
can be handled with Admin Schedules in ADSM to generate the copypools
tapes.  All you have to do is check them out, and load in fresh ones.

I have not seen it myself but I have heard about a new redbook which
details how to setup all these Admin Schedules etc.  The redbooks in
general are quite informative.

Actually one it is setup, and assuming no hardare or software problems
is very hassle free.

Regards,
Simon