ADSM-L

Strange

2015-10-04 17:33:42
Subject: Strange
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
ADSM: 3.1.2.50
AIX: 4.2.1 w/patches
Tape Library: ADIC 224

I wanted to move some data off a tape labeled 000027.  I issued MOVE DATA
000027.  I then issued a Q PRO and the system responded that it was waiting
for tapes 000027 and 000018.  Both tapes were mounted.  After a few minutes,
I saw that tape 000027 unmount so I re-issued Q PRO and here's the output.

adsm> q pro

 Process Process Description  Status

  Number
-------- --------------------
       2 Move Data            Volume 000027 (storage pool TAPEPOOL), Target
       2 Move Data            Volume 000027 (storage pool TAPEPOOL), Target

                               Pool TAPEPOOL, Moved Files: 0, Moved Bytes:
0,
                               Unreadable Files: 0, Unreadable Bytes: 0.

                               Current Physical File (bytes): 328,454

                               Waiting for mount of input volume 000004 (8

                               seconds).

                               Current output volume: 000018.

As you can see, ADSM was now waiting for tape 000004!  Now tape 000004 was
mounted and, again, after a few minutes it was unmounted.  I looked in the
actlog and the process for the MOVE DATA 000027 had completed successfully
and the tape was now marked scratch.

Can someone explain this?  Thanks in advance.

Mahesh Tailor
WAN Administrator
Carilion Health System
Voice: 540.224.3929