ADSM-L

Re: ANS4622 on AIX Client

2000-02-02 07:45:44
Subject: Re: ANS4622 on AIX Client
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 07:45:44 -0500
>I can't find any reference ANS4622 in the TSM Message Manual.

Um, it's:  ANS4266E Encountered bad mount or filesystem, processing stopped.

In any case, I don't see it in the online manuals, either.  Does it show up
when you do Help?

When stuff doesn't show up in the manuals, remember that there is always the
APAR database.  That gives some insight (see below), suggesting that there is
a clunker file system mounted on the system (a problem I've written about in
prior postings) in conjunction with your v2 client code.

    Richard Sims, BU

---------------------------------------
 * PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: With Version 2 ADSM UNIX clients, when  *
 * PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: With Version 2 ADSM UNIX clients, when  *
 *                      a backup is done, even of a single file,*
 *                      a stat is done on all filespaces that   *
 *                      could be backed up by the client. If one*
 *                      is NFS mounted and is unreachable, due  *
 *                      to network problems, the client can hang*
 *                      or at least wait a long time until the  *
 *                      stat times out.                         *
COMMENTS:
 ADSM checks every filesystem by design. Any
 application, not just ADSM, would hang on the NFS call, because
 NFS is not returning control.
 It will be a major design change to either not check every NFS
 filesystem when Local (which is not known or possible on some
 clients), or interrupt the process waiting on the NFS call with
 a timer process. This type of design change cannot be done until
 the next release of the product.