ADSM-L

number of backup versions

2000-02-01 16:55:36
Subject: number of backup versions
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 16:55:36 -0500
> this question may be asked several times but still .......
> "how, from the os/390 adsm server point of view, can I check the number of
> versions
> (active and inactive) of a specific file (for a specific node/client)  ????
>
> in the STANDARD backup copy group I have specified "Versions Data Exists 4 "
> and I want to check if there a 4 versions or less and not more than 4 !!!!!

This information is easier to obtain using client facilities. For example, the
following command will list the backed up versions of /etc/passwd for a Unix
client system:

dsmc q b -inactive /etc/passwd

It is possible to get the same sort of information from the GUI client. I
don't remember the details exactly, but the procedure is something along the
lines of selecting 'Restore' from the initial screen, checking 'Show inactive
files' in the View menu of the restore screen, and expanding the parts of the
directory tree you are interested in.