ADSM-L

Re: Problem with AIX client backup

2000-02-01 00:01:56
Subject: Re: Problem with AIX client backup
From: Dan Jennings <dan.jennings AT HOME DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 21:01:56 -0800
This usually means the FS was otherwise occupied when ADSM
tried to access it.  Are you doing FS or logical volume work
at about this same time?  Cron's usually the culprit, but other
permissions or multiple nested links can also be a problem.

Here a blurb referenced from the man page for statfs (it looks
like that is the failing function) and if I trust that IBM keeps
it's error numbers intact, the entry corresponding to errno 4 is
the ELOOP error, indicating a looping or excessively long chained
link.  Just my guess, but it seems as good a place to start as any.

Appendix A. Base Operating System Error Codes for
Services That Require Path-Name Resolution

The following errors apply to any service that requires
path name resolution:

 EACCES         Search permission is denied on a component
                of the path prefix.
 EFAULT         The Path parameter points outside of the allocated
                address space of the process.
 EIO            An I/O error occurred during the operation.
 ELOOP          Too many symbolic links were encountered in
                translating the Path parameter.
 ENAMETOOLONG   A component of a path name exceeded 255 characters
                and the process has the DisallowTruncation attribute
                (see the ulimit subroutine) or an entire path name
                exceeded 1023 characters.
 ENOENT         A component of the path prefix does not exist.
 ENOENT         A symbolic link was named, but the file to which it
                refers does not exist.
 ENOENT         The path name is null.
 ENOTDIR        A component of the path prefix is not a directory.
 ESTALE         The root or current directory of the process is
                located in a virtual file system that is unmounted.

  HTH & YMMV,

  Dan

--

Dan Jennings
Ghuru-in-training

When the only tool you have is a hammer,
   all problems tend to look like nails.
                - Masured