ADSM-L

Re: Can not checkin tapes in ADSM

2000-01-31 07:27:49
Subject: Re: Can not checkin tapes in ADSM
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 07:27:49 -0500
>We are trying to checkin 3590 tapes in ADSM. But when we issue the command
>checkin eg., "checkin libv 3494 D00510 devtype=3590 status=scratch"  we get the
>following error message:
>
>ANR8353E 047: I/O error reading label of volume in drive RMT11 (/dev/rmt11)
> and the ATL (3494) library through the tape out  from the library.
>
>I checked the drives, they are ok. Tried to do the same by using command
>"dmslabel" from unix prompt (dsmlabel -library=/dev/lmcp0 -drive=/dev/rmt9
>-search). But here the command shows error like "ANR0000E Error reading message
>repository for language AMENG". DSM_DIR and DSM_CONFIG are defined ok. All the
>files and eng language directories are also correctly defined.

The tape probably has no label; and your approach to doing a dsmlabel is the
right thing to do.  There is a defect in current server software such that
attempting to run dsmlabel outside of the server directory fails, regardless
of any environmental variables.  (Testing, IBM??)  So try the label operation
from that directory.

You didn't say whether these are new tapes.  Most new tapes have no internal
or external label, so the site has to do all the grunt work.

     Richard Sims, BU