ADSM-L

Excluding files from the backup

2000-01-28 12:50:07
Subject: Excluding files from the backup
From: Terry Phelps <terryp AT ACBL DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 12:50:07 -0500
There's apparently something about the "exclude" statements in the dsm.opt
file that I don't understand. Perhaps you can tell me what's going on:

We're running server 3.1.2.50 and clients 3.1.0.7 on Windows NT. The problem
is that I can't make exclude statements in the CLIENT dsm.opt file have an
effect when a scheduled backup (from the server) is run. Actually, that's
not exactly true, but  almost true, which is strange. Specifically: we kept
getting an error when ADSM tried to backup dsmsched.log, so we put an
exclude statement into dsm.opt (on the client) and it HAS stopped trying to
backup that file. However, two more exclude statements that I put into the
dsm.opt file do NOT have any effect. They look like this:

Exclude d:\mssql7\data\*

The only way I can exclude files on a scheduled backup is to put the
excludes into  a client options set on the server, which sounds too
restrictive. I do see the "client can override" option when I enter the
excludes on the server, but it's unclear exactly what that means when there
are multiple excludes, because the "can override" option is set or not set
on EACH exclude statement.

I'm confused. What am I doing wrong? Or is this how ADSM is designed to
work?