ADSM-L

Re: Strange archive behaviour with -subdir=yes

2000-01-28 07:57:42
Subject: Re: Strange archive behaviour with -subdir=yes
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 07:57:42 -0500
> Steve,
>
> Yes you are right it is a Solaris box but the same behavior is exhibited on
> AIX too.  Also v2 and V3 clients produce the same results.  I initially
> thought it was a symlink problem but I have set up a test directory
> structure on my AIX box in /home and  copied some files with the same names
> into multiple directories.  No symbolic links were in use anywhere.
> Unfortunately archive and selective backup both sent all files to the ADSM
> server.
Hi Richard,

     I'm not sure why you think that saying to backup /etc/hosts with
-subdir=yes is not yielding correct results below.  You have told it to
archive files named "hosts" starting in /etc, and looking in all
archive files named "hosts" starting in /etc, and looking in all
directories under /etc/, which is exactly what it did.  If you only want
/etc/hosts, then remove -subdir=yes, and specify /etc/inet/hosts instead.
     This is working as designed, so I hope my explanation helps you to
understand what is happening.

> > Subject:      Re: Strange archive behaviour with -subdir=yes
> >
> > > The following results are produced:
> > >
> > > Archiving-->             1,544 /etc/hosts . Sent
> > > Archiving-->               286 /etc/inet/hosts . Sent
> > > Archiving-->                14 /etc/net/ticlts/hosts . Sent
> > > Archiving-->                14 /etc/net/ticots/hosts . Sent
> > > Archiving-->                14 /etc/net/ticotsord/hosts . Sent
> > > Archive processing of '/etc/hosts' finished with 0 failures.
> > > Total number of objects inspected:       45
> > > Total number of objects archived:         5
> > > Total number of objects updated:          0
> > > Total number of objects rebound:          0
> > > Total number of objects deleted:          0
> > > Total number of objects failed:           0
> > > Total number of bytes transferred:    1,175
> > > Average file size:                      381
> > > Compression percent reduction:        39.40%
> > > Elapsed processing time:            0:00:01
> > >
> > > I am very surprised to see that /etc/inet/hosts and others are archived
> > too,
> > > when I have specifically specified a single filename "/etc/hosts" in the
> > > archive command.
> >
> > You do not say what unix system you are running, but my guess would be
> > Solaris.  If you look, /etc/hosts is a symlink to /etc/inet/hosts.  You
> > told it -subdir=yes, and by default, archive follows symlinks, unlike
> > backup, which does not.  If the user only wants to backup the host file,
> > then try:
> >
> > dsmc arc /etc/inet/hosts -desc="test"
> >
> > On one of my Solaris systems:
> >
> > (7:22am)[flotsam]{/usr/local/bin}> ls -al /etc/hosts
> > lrwxrwxrwx   1 root           12 Dec 19  1997 /etc/hosts -> ./inet/hosts
> > (7:22am)[flotsam]{/usr/local/bin}> ls -al /etc/inet/hosts
> > -r--r--r--   1 root         5162 Dec 27 13:30 /etc/inet/hosts

Steve Roder, University at Buffalo
VM Systems Programmer
UNIX Systems Administrator (Solaris and AIX)
ADSM Administrator
(tkssteve AT buffalo DOT edu | (716)645-3564 |
http://ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu/~tkssteve)