ADSM-L

Quantum DLT4700 problems

2000-01-27 09:28:15
Subject: Quantum DLT4700 problems
From: Ole Holm Nielsen <Ole.H.Nielsen AT FYSIK.DTU DOT DK>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 15:28:15 +0100
We have used a Quantum DLT4700 tape jukebox with ADSM for almost
4 years.  After upgrading ADSM from 2.1.0 to 3.1.2.50 recently,
we're seeing some apparent hardware problems.  I wonder if ADSM
supports the DLT4700 correctly, or whether the DLT microcode needs
upgrading (www.quantum.com does not seem to offer updates - does
anyone know of a source of updates ?).

When doing a MOVE DATA operation from DLT tape to disk, the
DLT system fails when the tape is almost empty.  The tape
magazine is ejected from the jukebox, and the AIX 4.1.5 server
reports SCSI-problems on the DLT library:

IDENTIFIER TIMESTAMP  T C RESOURCE_NAME  DESCRIPTION
4225DB66   0127143600 T H lb0            OPERATOR INTERVENTION REQUIRED
DAC55CE5   0127143600 U H lb0            UNDETERMINED ERROR
0BA49C99   0127143600 T H scsi1          SCSI BUS ERROR

I tried another SCSI-adapter and another cable, so the error
would seem to lie in the DLT system or in the ADSM driver.

Thanks for sharing your insights.

Ole Holm Nielsen
Department of Physics, Technical University of Denmark