ADSM-L

Re: Assigning different management classes??

2000-01-25 15:54:48
Subject: Re: Assigning different management classes??
From: Andy Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 12:54:48 -0800
Hi Steve,

Your domain/policy information came out with odd wrappings, so I may
be misinterpreting something. However, it looks like you are trying to
force a node in one policy domain to use a management class defined
to another policy domain. That is, your node is in policy domain
ROD_DOMAIN, but you want it to use a management class that is in
NT_DOMAIN. This is not permitted.

The policy domains are hierarchical, and you can not cross policy
domain boundaries. Nodes in any domain can only use management classes
defined within that domain.

If your node belongs to the ROD_DOMAIN, then it can only use
management classes that exist in ROD_DOMAIN's ACTIVE policy set.
The ACTIVE policy set is a copy of the ROD_SET policy set. This
policy set does not contain the NT_CLASS management class, so
your node can not access it.

What you need to do is define NT_CLASS (or whatever name you like)
in the ROD_SET policy set. NT_CLASS can have the same attributes
as the NT_CLASS in NT_DOMAIN/NET_SET. Activate ROD_SET so the ACTIVE
policy set will include NT_CLASS. Then your node in ROD_DOMAIN should
be able to bind files to NT_CLASS.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM
e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com
"The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked."

Thankyou for the reply Kelly.

I do have the policy sets activated. Maybe I am expecting to see something
that does not apply to this.  I have different storage pools associated
with
the different management classes.  I am expecting to see the data that I am
sending to the management class pointed to by the INCLUDE statement go to
the storage pool associated with that management class.  It does not.  It
all goes to the pool associated with the policy domain assigned to that
node
at registration time.

On the client gui there is drop down management class option.  The only
class available on that drop down option is the management class associated
with the policy set established at node registration.  Is there any case
(way) to have more than one class available to the node?  Would it show up
on that clients gui and be selectable?  If not, why is it a pull down
seemingly selectable option?

Every querey I have performed tells me I am using the DEFAULT management
class.  DEFAULT to what?  Do I just trust that it is getting to the proper
management class I have assigned in the INCLUDE statement?

The attachment has printouts of the policies I am trying to use.  ROD is
the
registered policy set for this particular node.  NT is the management set I
am trying to force certain data to via the INCLUDE statement.  They each
have different storage pools associated to them.