ADSM-L

Re: phantom folders in the recycle bin

2000-01-21 10:07:12
Subject: Re: phantom folders in the recycle bin
From: Eliza Lau <lau AT VTCAT.CC.VT DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 10:07:12 -0500

> This may be a long shot, but here's one scenario that might explain what is
> happening:
>       There were active copies of these folders in ADSM prior to the time you
> reassigned management classes.
>       These active copies in the ADSM DB would continue to point to one of the
> old management classes/copy groups.
>       When the scheduled backup runs the information in the ADSM DB for that
> client is downloaded to the client so that the
>            backup client can determine if the file is new, has changed, or has
> been deleted.
>       If the file has been deleted, the ADSM client will mark the file as
> inactive and normal ADSM retention rules will control
>           when the copies start dropping off.
>      If a valid copy group does not exist, ADSM issues the error message that
> you received. The last sentence "This file will not
>           be backed up." may be extra information that does not apply in this
> case.

Steve,

The message "This file will not be backup up." does apply to these phantom
folders.  I get it when I backup the disk interactively using the gui.

>          Here's some rough pseudocode to show the same thing
>
>          Get Next ADSM DB entry
>          Does this ADSM DB entry have a valid copy group?
>          No
>               Issue ANS1105E message
>          Yes
>              Does this file still exist on the client?
>               NO
>                      Set ADSM DB entry to Inactive because file has been
> deleted
>              Yes
>                     Has this file changed since previous backup?
>                     Yes
>                           Send a new backup to ADSM server
>                     No
>                          No need to back it up again
>
> You might try creating the same copy groups that existed in the old domain in
> your new domain. Then ADSM might not encounter the error and could then mark
> the
> file inactive when the next scheduled backup runs.
>

> Steve Branch
> Phillips Petroleum
> e-mail: swbranc AT ppco DOT com

But since this new domain doesn't have the management class that these folders
were bound to shouldn't ADSM rebind them to the default management class
in the new domain.  In fact, this is what happened to all the other files
on this client.

I will create a new management class to match the old one in the old domain
and see if ADSM will realize that the folders are indeed gone.
Thanks for the suggestion.

 Eliza Lau
 Eliza Lau
 Virginia Tech Computing Center                email : eliza.lau AT vt DOT edu
 Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
 1700 Pratt Drive
 Blacksburg VA 24060                           phone : (540) 231-9399