ADSM-L

Re: phantom folders in the recycle bin

2000-01-20 17:22:03
Subject: Re: phantom folders in the recycle bin
From: S W Branch <SWBRANC AT PPCO DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 16:22:03 -0600
This may be a long shot, but here's one scenario that might explain what is
happening:
      There were active copies of these folders in ADSM prior to the time you
reassigned management classes.
      These active copies in the ADSM DB would continue to point to one of the
old management classes/copy groups.
      When the scheduled backup runs the information in the ADSM DB for that
client is downloaded to the client so that the
           backup client can determine if the file is new, has changed, or has
been deleted.
      If the file has been deleted, the ADSM client will mark the file as
inactive and normal ADSM retention rules will control
          when the copies start dropping off.
     If a valid copy group does not exist, ADSM issues the error message that
you received. The last sentence "This file will not
          be backed up." may be extra information that does not apply in this
case.

         Here's some rough pseudocode to show the same thing

         Get Next ADSM DB entry
         Does this ADSM DB entry have a valid copy group?
         No
              Issue ANS1105E message
         Yes
             Does this file still exist on the client?
              NO
                     Set ADSM DB entry to Inactive because file has been deleted
             Yes
                    Has this file changed since previous backup?
                    Yes
                          Send a new backup to ADSM server
                    No
                         No need to back it up again

You might try creating the same copy groups that existed in the old domain in
your new domain. Then ADSM might not encounter the error and could then mark the
file inactive when the next scheduled backup runs.

Steve Branch
Phillips Petroleum
e-mail: swbranc AT ppco DOT com

Eliza Lau <lau AT VTCAT.CC.VT DOT EDU> on 01/20/2000 12:36:51 PM

Any replies will be addressed to: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"
      <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>