ADSM-L

Re: ADSM full DB Backup

2000-01-19 11:48:13
Subject: Re: ADSM full DB Backup
From: Kyle Payne <payne AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 10:48:13 -0600
The answer is a File Device Class.  You need to define one.  There is a parm
that lets you give the directory location that the file will be created.
You can then use this new device class as the "dev=FILE" when backing up the
DB.  I don't know but I assume that you can send this to another server
using a mapped drive approach.  Note that you can not backup a db to a disk
device class.  The file device class really creates a sequential file on
disk.

Really I wanted to ask you, why?  The ADSM DB backup is a very important
part of DR.  Sending it to Disk doesn't give you a practical way of getting
it offsite.  So are you really sure you want to do this?

I have only used this in a test environment.  I was able to create a file
device class on my lap top.  This allowed me to work on scripts even though
I didn't have a tape drive.

Kyle