ADSM-L

Re: Using ADSM to back-up large volumes

2000-01-12 11:05:53
Subject: Re: Using ADSM to back-up large volumes
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 11:05:53 -0500
I see you've gotten a lot of suggestions already - I'll chime in with a few
more from an OS/390 perspective.

1) CPU utilization.  (Can you spell STUCK?)

This is obviously something that has to be fixed, if it's really your
bottleneck.  I don't know how conversant you are with mainframe tuning
parameters, but OS/390 is normally tuned to limit the amount of the CPU each
application uses.  Are you sure the processor is really out of gas, or is
ADSM just not getting a big enough slice of the pie?  Beat up on your OS/390
sysprogs to see that you get more cycles for ADSM.  If necessary, run a test
have them give you unlimited CPU temporarily while you try a sizeable
restore, see if it makes a difference.  If not, and the CPU is pegged at
100%, then actually consider getting a CPU upgrade.  I don't mean for that
to sound flip, I know now difficult that can be.  BUT, if you happen to have
one of the newer CMOS-based processors, buying more processor could actually
be CHEAPER than replicating a bunch of DLT tape drives and all their
associated maintenance costs, believe it or not.

2) Network bottleneck

Are you sure that your network is the problem, or is it just the gateway to
the mainframe?  A simple test - Take a sizeable file, say 300-500 MB at
least, on one of your Windows servers.  FTP it to another WIndows server.
Repeat several times to be sure you get consistent transfer times.  Now FTP
the same file to the mainframe.  If the problem is really the network, you
should get the same average transfer time to the mainframe host, as to
another host on the network.  If the mainframe transfer is slower, then the
problem is mainframe-specific.

If your problem is just the gateway to the mainframe, not the entire
network, again that is cheaper to upgrade than replicating multiple tape
drives.  If it isn't the gateway, check into your mainframe TCP/IP service
levels.  You didn't specify your OS/390 level, but most people saw
substantial improvements in the performance of OS/390 TCP/IP when upgrading
from OS/390 V4 to V5 or above.

Other than that, you may really be stuck.  Most really large servers have
multiple drives backed up, and you can greatly improve restore times by
collocating at the filespace level and starting multiple restore streams.
That won't help in your case if CPU and Network are the bottleneck.

Also, the new TSM 3.7 feature of Lan-Free restore is designed to get around
network limitations.  You have the ADSM server dump all the data required
for restores onto a tape, and then physically move the tape to the client
and reload the data on the client's tape drive.  But that is not likely to
be useful for most OS/390 shops, since most will not likely have media that
is compatible between the OS/390 server and the ADSM clients.

Beyond that, I would at least consider moving the ADSM server to an AIX
host, before decentralizing the backup function again.  What gives me
nightmares with decentralized backups is the implications for DR.  I REALLY
HATE to have all my DR tapes running lose in dozens of different places
where people can spill coffee on them...

Good luck.
Hope this is useful to somebody.

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert