ADSM-L

Re: Upgrade AIT -1 to AIT-2

2000-01-11 17:56:48
Subject: Re: Upgrade AIT -1 to AIT-2
From: Jim Jepson <jepson AT APPLE DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 14:56:48 -0800
Hi Jason,

I don't have much info for you.  We just started running a new ADIC
Scalar 1000 with AIT2 drives at ADSM 3.1.2.50.  Level 50 is supposed to
recognize the SDX-500C drive.  There is a specific device specification
of AITC when setting up the drives with level 50.

My initial tests are showing only 55 to 70 GB utilization. The new
device support information lists the formats and capacities of the new
devices supported by the ADSM server.

Tape Drives:
|========================================================================|
| Device Name          |  Supported Formats         | Estimated Capacity |
|======================|============================|====================|
| Sony SDX-500C        | AIT, AITC                  |       50 GB        |
|                      |                            |  (see note 1,2,3)  |
|========================================================================|

Note :
    1. Compression supported
    2. Capacity
       - 25 GB typical when using 170 m tape AIT-1 cassette (SDX1-25C)
       - 35 GB typical when using 230 m tape AIT-1 cassette (SDX1-35C)
       - 36 GB typical when using 170 m tape AIT-2 cassette (SDX2-36C)
       - 50 GB typical when using 230 m tape AIT-2 cassette (SDX2-50C)
    3. Firmware level used during validation process
       SONY    SDX-500C        FW : 0102

As you know, AIT-2 with compression specified is supposed to yield
somewhere around 100 GB, so when I read the 50 GB typical when using 230
m tape -- I had hoped for better.  With level 50 installed, ADSM
command-line help mentions that you should see approximately 60 GB
utilization. I hope TSM 3.7.1 improves these numbers.

-JJ