ADSM-L

Re: MIGRATION question???

2000-01-11 10:39:55
Subject: Re: MIGRATION question???
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <cookde AT BP DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 10:39:55 -0500
Oh, I bet you are using ptf .40 !

I've noticed a glitch that I thought they had eliminated earlier but seems
to have come back with this PTF !

The trend will be an almost full volume will be mounted for output, it will
be written to and filled but the file isn't on the physical volume in its
entirety SO ADSM calls for a mount of a scratch tape... it seems to want it
on the same drive but that drive is busy (rewinding the tape that just
filled) ADSM isn't patient and fails the process 'cause "scratch tape mount
request denied"  SO NOW it backs off the last transaction which leaves the
just filled tape only slightly empty once again.

Now for you folks that have been on this list a while might remember my "dog
yack'n on a rancid piece of meat" speech, well this is it again !

So after things fail, they start again, and the conditions are the same for
that almost full tape to be mounted, which fills, but not on a complete file
so it wants a scratch on the same drive but won't wait on the rewind so
things fail, transactions are backed out and OOPS here we go again.

Look to see the tape that was mounted on the drive... you will find it about
98-ish%full but in a filling status, just mark it read-only then the next
time migration starts it won't use that tape.  Once data expires off that
tape reclamation will take care of the READONLY problem and if you have
daily reports that list problem volumes you may want to move that data back
to disk & let it migrate off again.

later,
       Dwight