ADSM-L

I want to ignore yet still backup up nt permissions

2000-01-07 09:21:21
Subject: I want to ignore yet still backup up nt permissions
From: "Bates, Richard" <Richard.Bates AT VERTEX.CO DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 14:21:21 -0000
ADSM client NT 3.1.0.7
ADSM server AIX 3.1.2.40

Scenario:

We retain 2 copies of NT client data.

On a particular file the Active copy is corrupt and the inactive copy is OK.

User reports that his file is corrput, and asks the NT admin to restore the
inactive backup copy.  The NT admin takes ownership of the corrupt file and
also changes some permissions.  He then leaves for the day, promising to
restore the file the next morning.  Incremental backup starts in the middle
of the night and backs up the file again.  The backup was not as a result of
file modifications but as a result of the NT permissions change.  We are now
in a situation were both versions on the ADSM server are corrupt.  We have
lost the only valid copy.

The client has lost his data, however I am trying to come up with
suggestions to prevent this from happenning again.

I have had a look at the skipntpermissions option, which performs half of
what I want to achieve.  If this option is set to yes then the file will not
be backed up if just the permissions change.  However if the file is backed
up due to a modification then the NT permissions are not backed up.  I can't
seem to get the skipntsecuritycrc option to work

What I really want is as follows:

file is not backed up if the permissions change
files is backed up when the file is modified
when the file is backed up I want the permissions to be backed up too

Can I achieve this?  Any suggestions.

Richard.

Technical Services (ADSM) - Dawson House
Int: 33298  Ext: 01925 233298

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com