ADSM-L

Returning empty tapes to scratch status.

1999-12-27 14:41:24
Subject: Returning empty tapes to scratch status.
From: Vern Maxson <vmlist AT YAHOO DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 11:41:24 -0800
I just reclaimed two tapes, using a disk reclaimpool
as an interim storage pool.  One tape went to scratch
status as soon as it became empty.  The other remained
as a private tape, even though it was empty, and had
no errors.  The only difference that I can tell is
that the tape that remained a private tape, filled up
the available disk space (causing an I/O error on the
disk storage pool), migrated the reclaimpool data to
tape, and then took a second tape mount to finish
pulling the data off the tape.  The tape that went to
scratch status did not fill up the disk, and finished
with just the single tape mount.

To change the tape status back to scratch, I simply
issued the "delete volume volume_name" command.