ADSM-L

Y2K ADSM System "Snapshot"

1999-12-27 12:16:24
Subject: Y2K ADSM System "Snapshot"
From: Phil Bone <PBone AT AFLAC DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 12:16:24 -0500
I need to take a snapshot of my ADSM system in a pre-Y2K state.  These tapes
are to be held in reserve for a few weeks as a Y2K contingency plan for
recovery.

One way to accomplish this, so I have been told, would be to mark all the
tapes in the COPYPOOL (the DR set of tapes) as destroyed.  The system would
then re-create each of the 230 tapes exactly as they were.

Another option would be to delete each of the COPYPOOL volumes with a
discarddata=yes.  We then could "rebuild" the COPYPOOL tapes, and get a full
reclamation in the process.

Would anyone care to comment on the advantages/disadvantages/risks/benefits
of either of these procedures, or perhaps propose another way to accomplish
the task?

Thanks in advance.

Phil Bone
Sr. Systems Consultant
Network Services, Infrastructure Management
Office: 706.596.5928
Fax: 706.596.5950
Email: pbone AT aflac DOT com
Email: philbone AT mindspring DOT com