ADSM-L

Re: Tivoli monitors TSM?

1999-12-17 16:41:04
Subject: Re: Tivoli monitors TSM?
From: Nick Laflamme <nlaflamme AT DIMENSION DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 16:41:04 -0500
On Friday, December 17, 1999 at 3:54 PM EST, Glen Hattrup wrote:

> There are several "thingie"s (to borrow your technical term, :-) that
allow
> for integration between the TSM 3.7 servers and the rest of the Tivoli
> Enterprise Suite (note, suite not console... )

> And since it's the holidays, I'll expound a little further on
> what these various thingies are.

Thanks, Santa! Things are falling into place fairly nicely.

Should I ask how you managed to avoid the phrase, "Tivoli Plus module"? I've
seen references to it, but I can't tell if you described it piecemeal
without saying so or if there's one more thing out there I need to grok
before I can talk with the local Tivoli dudes without seeming ignorant?

> The TEC & GEM console(s) provide real-time insight into the operation of
> your TSM servers.  The GEM is very good for providing a graphical display
> and visual indicators of severe difficulties with operation (server
> abends...).  The TEC provides a very good detailed look into the server
> operation, but it requires more effort to set up and customize for your
> implementation than GEM does.  Together, they can provide a
> very good means> of monitoring your system

Thanks for differentiating between GEM and TEC; sometimes such nuances are
hard for the novice to discern.

> Tivoli Decision Support is another tool that facilitates designing your
> implementation and providing information on how your system(s) is / are
> performing.  It is not a real time product, per se, especially given the
> nature of its operation.

Thanks for clarifying this.

>These are very large products, and it's tough to know the "exact" question
>to ask.  I hope I've provided enough information to get you started further
>into research to determine what your needs are and what product /
>functionality fulfills your needs.

You've aimed me in the right direction. Somehow, I suspect there's a ripe
opportunity for a Redbook or two, but that's another time....

> My guess is that if you already have a
> TEC up and running, that this would be the best path to follow.  The TEC
is
> extremely powerful and provides many means of monitoring agents (eg. TSM
> server), including very complex rules.

Although there's something to be said for simplicity (or lots of sample
macros shipped as examples?), some of us are geek enough to prefer a wide
range of tools that provide enough options that we can do wonderful things
(or really, really mess things up!). :-)

>Glen Hattrup
>Tivoli Storage Manager
>Server Development Team

Nick Laflamme