ADSM-L

Re: EMC DASD

1999-12-15 16:56:20
Subject: Re: EMC DASD
From: "Kovacs, Mark" <Mark.Kovacs AT PHARMA DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 16:56:20 -0500
Julie,

        Yes & No...   We have ADSM & EMC (Symms & Connectrix) with lots of
Open Systems and others, but we need the LAN.  I've been asking EMC for many
months (years actually) to provide a pseudo-TCP driver/interface to allow
ADSM to LAN-through-the-back channel.  The answer is no on the LAN-free (not
that we expected anything different, but we had to ask :-).  For LAN
traffic, we solved the problem by installing a dedicated, physically
separated switch with all ADSM clients running 100Mbt.  The ADSM server is a
HP-UX box with Gigabit Ethernet.  Our backup window for all servers is 4
hours (most are done in a much shorter timeframe).

        ADSM via a back channel on EMC, or Connectrix, is not going to be a
reality for some time.  If you need incredibly short backup times for
systems on EMC, I would recommend EMC's TimeFinder.

thanks,
mark