ADSM-L

ADSM Storage Pool Performance

1999-12-15 12:06:17
Subject: ADSM Storage Pool Performance
From: JerryLawson <jlawson AT THEHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 12:06:17 -0500
A couple of weeks ago, I posted a question to the list about our storage pool
performance (the original note is attached to the bottom of this note.)  I
want to thank the people who took the time to respond and provide suggestions
and comparisons to other devices.

We did some analysis, and came up with the realization that, in the words of
that comic strip icon Pogo "We have me the enemy, and he is Us!"  (I
apologize to those of you not fluent in American Comics.)  What we
hypothesized was that since we run our storage pools with caching enabled,
and since we have been doing this for a period of at least 4 years, there was
a good chance that the pool itself was extremely fragmented.  We speculated
that even a small request for space was being spread across more than one
volume.  The effect was that every data request was being scattered across
the 25 volumes in almost a random order.

The good news was that we were able to attempt to validate our idea very
easily.  We turned off caching on the pool, and then let it drain out over
the weekend.  On Monday we came in, and saw that there was now only about 4%
residual data that was still being cached (we only go down to 5% as a low
threshold).  Stats for the devices have shown amazing improvement - device
disconnect time has dropped from 79ms to 2ms.  At the same time, the IO rate
has increased accordingly.  And more obviously, tasks such as migrations now
run in less than half the time - just this morning we did a migration of
approximately 32GB in less than an hour (running 4 concurrent processes.)

Thanks again to all of you who responded.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com