ADSM-L

Re: Long running Incremental Backup

1999-12-14 10:55:56
Subject: Re: Long running Incremental Backup
From: William Boyer <wboyer AT PTD DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 10:55:56 -0500
This could be APAR IC24550. There is an error in calculating the estimated
size of a directory that the client wants to send to the server. If you were
using a DIRMC, you would probably see ANS1310E Object Too Large for server
limits. The APAR is closed and scheduled for the 3.7.2 client release 2Q00.
The workaround for this is to code SKIPNTPERMISSIONS YES in the DSM.OPT for
the client(s). So, if you move to a DIRMC, keep this in mind or your backups
will fail with the ANS1310E error.

This could be the problem with the excessive tape mounts during backup. If
the estimated size exceeds the maxsize or available space in your DISK
backup pool, then it is going to your next storage pool and causing the
mounts. Even if you don't go to DIRMC, you may want to concider the
SKIPNTPERMISSIONS YES to reduce these mounts.

Bill Boyer
DSS, Inc.