ADSM-L

Re: TSM WIN32 client dsm.opt file

1999-12-09 12:26:52
Subject: Re: TSM WIN32 client dsm.opt file
From: Andy Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 09:26:52 -0800
Hi Steffan,

Thank you for the OS information. Is this Windows 98,
Second Edition?

I still need an exact recreate scenario that includes
step-by-step instructions. It may not be a general
problem with the wizard; rather, it could be related
to a specific sequence of things that you did. I need
to know what that sequence is in order to try to
recreate the problem. If I can not recreate the
problem, then I can not look to have it fixed.

The step-by-step instructions should include all the
detail as to which menu items you selected, which
dialog buttons you pressed, what entries you made,
the order in which you performed these actions, etc.
Did you manually edit dsm.opt while the configuration
wizard was still running (not recommended)? If so, at
what point while running configuration wizard did you
edit it?

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Storage Systems Division
ADSM Client Development
e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com
"The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked."

Andy,

good point: I'm on win98 with very recent updates (on autopilot with
microsoft...).  I had started the install and at the end was put into
the wizard.  I added 7 or 8 lines (the original was blank) and continued
on to the finish.

Steffan

Andy Raibeck wrote:

> [...]
> edited it.
>
> Some other questions:
>
> 1) Which operating system and service pack are you running?
>
> 2) If the OS is NT, were you logged in as an admin or
>    non-admin user?
>
> 3) Is this the 3.7.0.0 or 3.7.1.0 client (you should be
>    using 3.7.1.0)?
>
> Regards,
>
> Andy
>
> Andy Raibeck
> IBM Storage Systems Division
> ADSM Client Development
> e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com
> "The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked."
>
> Andy,
>
> I tried that install for the first time last night and was at first
> pleased that the process was pretty much SOP but the finish left me
> dissapointed.
>
> I put in a number of entries via the wizard but then the process was
> finished & the TSM GUI was launched I got an error on the dsm.opt file.
> I went looking and found a blank dsm.opt: none of my entries were saved.
>
> IBM/Tivoli QA has somehow missed another significant glitch.
>
> Regards,
>
> Steffan
>
> Andy Raibeck wrote:
> >
> > Hi Julie,
> >
> > One of the new features of the Win32 client is a configuration
> > wizard which provides a GUI interface for creating the dsm.opt
> > file. When you start the backup GUI, it looks for dsm.opt. If
> > dsm.opt is not present, then the configuration wizard will
> > automatically start.
> >
> > This is intended to help users, especially first-time users,
> > get up and running as soon as possible without having to know
> > the details of how to create or edit the text-based dsm.opt
> > file.
> >
> > If you want to install an existing dsm.opt file (like in the
> > case where you have pre-configured dsm.opt files to be
> > distributed en masse), copy the dsm.opt file to the
> > tsmcli\win32\<platform>\config directory, then run setup.exe.
> > If setup detects the dsm.opt file in the ..\config directory,
> > then it will copy it to ..\baclient. Then when you run the
> > GUI, since dsm.opt exists, the configuration wizard will not
> > run.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Andy
> >
> > Andy Raibeck
> > IBM Storage Systems Division
> > ADSM Client Development
> > e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com
> > "The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked."
> >
> > We are installing the Tivoli Storage Manager WIN32 client and when we
> click
> > on Backup Client Options, there is nothing there.  According to the doc
> on
> > the internet, a file called BA_DSM.OPT is supposed to be copied to
either
> > DSM.OPT if there isn't one, or DSM.NEW if DSM.OPT already exists.
> > But after what appears to be a successful install, we have no
BA_DSM.OPT,

--
Steffan Rhoads
Steffan Rhoads
Senior Technical Consultant
MCBA, Inc.
10 Holland
Irvine, California  92618-2504
800-817-0725 - Voice & phone mail
800-235-5677 - Pager
srhoads AT mcba DOT com - Office email
3232006924 AT pagenetmessage DOT net - email to my pager
  I can send a limited email reply.
arhoads AT pacbell DOT net - Personal email
  Personal email works better when I'm traveling or at home.