ADSM-L

Re: long backup time

1999-12-08 23:56:25
Subject: Re: long backup time
From: Russell Street <russells AT AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 17:56:25 +1300
You could try using incremental by date option in the backup.  There
is much less ADSM client-server interaction.  And there is much less
work for the NT client to do for each file.

As another suggestion, you could also turn on "memory efficent
backup".  Bewarned that you will put considerable load onto your ADSM
*server* and network.  There will now be an interaction with the
server for each directory, cf a large download at the start before.

Normally the NT client downloads a map of all the files held at the
last backup.  If that file list is very large it can not be contained
in physical memory will be paged out to disk.  As the NT client then
traverses the file system it incurs extra disk hits paging back in the
file list.

You will be able verify this with Performance Monitor.

I would try each of these in turn and see which one does the most
good.

Russell