ADSM-L

Re: Exclude.Dir -- ??

1999-12-08 13:31:02
Subject: Re: Exclude.Dir -- ??
From: Nick Cassimatis <nickpc AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 13:31:02 -0500
Not the way I read it.  The way I think about it, exclude.dir says "Don't
follow this directory tree."  That means it's skipped over, without any
processing.  I've seen this in practice - nothing even gets put in the
sched.log about it.

Nick Cassimatis
nickpc AT us.ibm DOT com

If you don't have the time to do it right the first time, where will you
find the time to do it again?

You are correct, but regardless of whether it is valid syntax to
use wildcards in an 'exclude.dir' directive, the examples given
were not logical. What the examples in the original message
indicated was "find all of the subdirectories of this directory
and exclude them and all of their subdirectories". By virtue of
the first part ("find all of the subdirectories of this
directory") you've basically nullified any benefit of using the
exclude.dir directive. Sure, you won't make any directory entries
in the database, but you'll walk the entire tree, knowing in
advance that you are walking the tree with absolutely no
intention of backing anything up from that tree.

 -- Tom