ADSM-L

Moving from no-colocation to colocation

1999-12-08 07:01:46
Subject: Moving from no-colocation to colocation
From: "Brian T. Huntley" <bth AT CLARKSON DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 07:01:46 -0500
Hi all....

When we first implemented ADSM with a 3494 library, I had colocation
off on all storage pools to use tapes as efficiently as possible.

Although not an ideal solution, it was the best I could do when I was told
I had 0 tape budget... but since then I've managed to convince the
penny-pinchers that tapes should be in the budget as a consumable just
like toner cartridges, paper, and pens, so I now have a little bit more
ability to purchase more tapes.

My question is this: Is there any way to calculate how many more tapes
would be required if a non-colocated tape storage pool were migrated to a
colocated one?  Assuming I could purchase as many tapes as required, would
it be worth my time (and the server's time) to do this?

We've had a lot of (relatively small) Novell and NT restores lately that
have required 40 or more tape mounts, and taken several hours.  Needless
to say, this is getting rather annoying.

Thanks much for your input!

-
Best regards,
Best regards,
Brian

| Brian T. Huntley                         Systems and Network Engineer |
| Campus Information Services, Clarkson University                      |
| Ph/FAX: 315.268-2292/6570                                             |
| bth AT clarkson DOT edu                                 www.clarkson.edu/cis |
 UNIX *is* user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.
        PGP Public Key available. finger bth AT clarkson DOT edu