ADSM-L

Re: [Problems with VCR data on 3590]

1999-12-03 20:02:46
Subject: Re: [Problems with VCR data on 3590]
From: MICHEL HUBER <michel.huber AT USA DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 18:02:46 MST
Bob,
   The short answer is, it depends (isn't it always?)
   Are you seeing the "repairing VCR data" EVERY time these seven tapes
are mounted?
   Are these the only seven tapes that have been mounted since the upgrade, or
are there other tapes being mounted that aren't displaying
this error?
   If you are only seeing this error on these seven tapes and not on other
tapes that are being mounted, I'd personally recommend doing a "move
data" on the tapes, just to be absolutely safe.  You probably haven't
lost any data (see Richard Sims' excellent summary on what this error
means, about two (?) months ago on the listserv), but it never hurts to
play it safe.
   If these are the only tapes that have been mounted since the upgrade,
I'd recommend trying to do a "move data" on one of the other tapes to see
if you get the VCR error.  If you do, post back with the results.
   Also, do you know what microcode level you were at and what level you
went to?  Might be helpful.....

Cheers!
'Chel

Michel Huber
Consultant
Gresham Enterprise Storage

"Brazner, Bob" <Bob.Brazner AT JCI DOT COM> wrote:
If message ANR8820W (VCR data being repaired) keeps showing up on the same
tape, does that mean the tape is a goner?  Or, is there something else I
could/should be doing such as Move Data or mtlib or tapeutil?  My 3494 ATL
and 3590 B drives had microcode updated last month, and now, I have 7 tapes
that suddenly have the VCR problem.  If mtlib/tapeutil is the answer, I'd
appreciate the exact syntax.  Thanks.