ADSM-L

Re: Storage Tek 9840 transfer rates.

1999-12-03 08:26:38
Subject: Re: Storage Tek 9840 transfer rates.
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 08:26:38 -0500
That was good input from Kyle Payne suggesting use of client trace
and the instr_client_detail specification to get detailed info.

>Also I have seen when you backup one large
>file you get a time that isn't possible.

ADSM itself is not actually sending the data - the operating system
communications transport subsystem is doing that (e.g., TCP/IP).
ADSM hands the data off to the comm system and considers it transmitted,
using that time in reporting data rate.  Depending upon data volume, in
fact none of it may have been transmitted yet, in that it may simply have
been absorbed into the communications buffers, which is of course a much
faster operation than is actual transmission.  So when attempting to
measure the throughput capabilities of transmission facilities it is
usually necessary to send a great quantity of data, so as to statistically
average out buffering effects.
      Richard Sims, BU