ADSM-L

Re: mass file space name changes???

1999-12-02 16:51:37
Subject: Re: mass file space name changes???
From: Alfred Novacek <Novacek AT POP.IDV.UNI-LINZ.AC DOT AT>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 22:51:37 +0100
Chris,

If You want to go the simple route - there is no need to change anything
wrt *SM. *SM node names, Win* computer names (which are reflected in *SM
filespace names) and domain names are separate concepts and may be
different; however, when You reconfigure the networking aspects of a Win*
computer, the network configuration panel tries very hard to get the DNS
name locally configured in synch with the computer name, so You might to
change the computer names as well.

The next best thing that comes to my mind is scripting. You need a good
scripting language (PEARL, REXX, ...) that is available to You and that You
feel comfortable with, and You need the *SM administrative client.

First, issue a SELECT command against the *SM database or a QUERY FILESPACE
and extract from the resulting output all filespace names; for each
filespace name extracted, You issue a RENAME FILESPACE command that
correctly sets the new name. Once that script is run once successfully,
Your work is done.

However, walking around and manually reconfiguring 13000 computers is no
small task, and I doubt that it will be done in 1 day; so You might want to
modify the scripts so it renames only those filespaces that contain certain
room numbers in their name.

HTH - Alfred Novacek

>It appears that there is a bit of confusion around my questionso let me
>clarify some things....
>
>Our client devices have specified nodenames in the DSM.OPT file. We don't
>pull the nodename from
>the computer device name. ADSM does pull the file space name from the
>computer device name.
>
>So my nodename is Robinso_C-0055 my machine name is robinso_c-0055
>my filespaces are:
>
>\\Robinso_C-0055\c$
>\\Robinso_C-0055\d$
>
>If I change my computer name to "Goober" the nodename is the same, since it
>is hardcoded in the dsm.opt, the
>filespaces for my node are now:
>
>\\robinso_c-0055\c$
>\\robinso_c-0055\d$
>\\goober\c$
>\\goober\d$
>
>When the computer name changed it also caused ADSM to do a full backup on
>the "goober" filespaces.
>

>Now, if I rename the filespaces after the computer has been re-named, and
>rebooted, but before the next backup
>all will be good in the world.
>
>If I don't then I will have new DB entries for the node and full backups.
>
>So back to my original question. How would I rename 26,000 "filespace" names
>between the time the script runs which changes
>the name and the next backup?
>
>Hope this helps!

>Cris Robinson
>Sr. Technical Analyst
>Enterprise Storage Management / TSM (ADSM)
>Liberty Mutual Insurance
>Portsmouth, New Hampshire
>603.431.8400.54837

Dipl.-Ing. Alfred Novacek
Dipl.-Ing. Alfred Novacek
Institute for Data Processing in Business Administrations,
     Economics and Social Sciences
Johannes Kepler University Linz / Austria
E-Mail: Novacek AT idv.uni-linz.ac DOT at
        Novacek AT pop.idv.uni-linz.ac DOT at
WWW: http://www.idv.uni-linz.ac.at