ADSM-L

TCPWindowsize on NT

1999-12-02 11:08:56
Subject: TCPWindowsize on NT
From: Kyle Payne <payne AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 10:08:56 -0600
ADSMers,
        Many of you who implement ADSM on NT for either the client or server
know
of the flash that states you should set TCPWINDOWSIZE to 63 and not 64 (as
the tuning guide suggests) for NT clients.

        Well, a few weeks ago a member of my team was at a class with a
gentlemen
that appeared to be a TCP/IP guru.  He told my collogue the following:

 In optimizing Tivoli Storage Manager, there is one IBM flash that states to
set the TCPWINDOWSIZE to 63 for NT.  I have heard that it would be better to
set it to 48. In relation to above, it has been stated the NT uses a 16 bit
word within the IP stack. If  you set it to the 63 the 4th packet 49 to 63
would fail, then the first packet of the next 1 to 16 would retransmit the
data from packet 49 to 63, this leaving you only 2 successful packets. If
you set the window size to 48 all packets would be successful.   With the
net of 3 packets versus 2 per IP window.

        Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks,
        Kyle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kyle Payne
Berbee Information Networks Corp.
4000 W. Spencer Street
Appleton WI, 54914
payne AT berbee DOT com        - e-mail
pgpayne AT berbee DOT com      - pager e-mail
(920) 586-3014  - pager
(920) 450-0413  - cell
(920) 997-9420 x.46     - work