ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Storage Pool Performance

1999-11-30 08:32:46
Subject: Re: ADSM Storage Pool Performance
From: Andreas Buser <andreas.buser AT BASLER DOT CH>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 14:32:46 +0100
Hi Jerry,

High disconnect times on ADSM-Pools can have the following reasons:

 SEEK on disks
   One reason could be that you have defined a lot of little "ADSM-Volumes"
(f.e 1 or more for each client) so adsm has to "seek  on disks"
   An other Reason: to much tasks accessing the same disk.

SEEK in the ADSM-POOLs
  If  you do not empty your disks pools, the data sent by trhe clients
"defrags" ( a lot of little pieces not tight toghter) this causes
"intraseeks", which means
  seeking IN a dataset.

Not enough channels
  If the I/Os have to wait to get connection to the channel, then
disconnect times raises.

We run our ADSM on OS/390 2.6 with DASD on HDS 7700E.
We get about 25ms busy (20ms connect) and  about 20% busy.

Kind Regards Andreas Buser

Tel: ++41 61 285 73 21  Fax: ++41 61 285 70 98

Email: Andreas.Buser AT Basler DOT ch

Address: Basler Versicherungen Andreas Buser Abt. Informatik Aeschengraben
21 4002 Basel Switzerland