ADSM-L

Re: Tape Library Recommendation

2015-10-04 17:37:12
Subject: Re: Tape Library Recommendation
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Orin,

Two things that bit me when planning my current install are that I
underestimated tape usage and the number of drives needed.

1. Unless you run reclaims all the time (see 2. for the downside of this),
your
tapes will average about 40% occupancy regardless of collocation usage or
not.
On day one you get 100% occ. but over time the reclaimable percentage goes
up
reducing the effective storage of your library. So, once you figure out the
number of files you will store and your retention times and whatnot then
multiply that by two to account for the "not yet reclaimed" space on tape.
Just
an opinion here but if I had done the x2 I would have met my planned need -
thankfully we have not met our growth plans.....

2.Get at least 3 drives in a library. If you have physical limits on  your
disk
pools, database, log, or tape pools and/or more than intermittent restores
or
use HSM then you will start having contention between reclamation, database
backups, storage pool backups, and restores. ADSM has a priority scheme for
this
through canceling and schedule order but it is frustrating to have processes
wait for tape drives. If you look at the DLT drives some of those mount/seek
waits can be quite long. If you have many clients and a "small" disk pool
you
can get a scenario going where every client will want to put at least one
file
directly to tape before writing to disk pool. For instance, on a library
with
two drives, if you have a reclaim running and client backups start, they
will
write to the disk pool. At some point migration will kick off for the disk
pool
which will wait for the reclaim to finish. When the disk pool fills all the
pending clients will go into a media wait status. Now everything waits for
the
reclaim to finish. When it does, the migration for the disk pool will
start - if
you run two migration processes the clients will still wait. When the
migration
is done and at least one drive is free, one of the clients will allocate
that
drive and start writing its next file to it. Even though there is free space
in
the disk pool all the media wait clients will still wait for a tape drive.
Each
individual client will mount a tape to dump a file to it before going back
writing to the disk pool. If you are using a high capacity tape these mounts
and
dismounts can be expensive time wise and all the time these tapes are
mounting
and dismounting the disk pool is filling again and so it can all happen
again.
And again. Worst case you could wind up with a tape mount per file. Ick.

From an opinion standpoint, restores should drive your decision process for
media and tape size. Bigger is not better in some cases. Just image the
scenario
where you need to restore a critical file with you CEO watching and have to
explain that it is going to take an hour because there are 5 tape mounts
involved and each has to seek across 75GB of tape surface. If you had the
money,
you might want to consider two libraries, large capacity DLT tape for the
storage pool and something with faster access, Magstar for instance,  for
the
primary backup pool - just a thought.

Oh, and try to take a class. ADSM is a different beast from rest and in the
good
old IBM tradition there is a lot of up-front knowledge necessary to set
things
up correctly. Makes future management much easier. The Redbooks are also
helpful.

Garin Walsh
Sabre Inc.

"Robinson, Cris" <Cris.Robinson AT LIBERTYMUTUAL DOT COM> on 11/29/99 11:39:59
AM