ADSM-L

Roll-Forward recovery?

1999-11-29 08:03:18
Subject: Roll-Forward recovery?
From: "Richard L. Rhodes" <rhodesr AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 08:03:18 -5
As we've been evaluating ADSM I guess I've been making a serious
error in understanding backup/recovery.

From reading the post below from another thread, do I now understand
correctly that ADSM has NO ROLL-FORWARD recovery procedure?  In other
words, if you put down a full backup and incrementals, there is no
way to roll forward to the point in time when the db was lost?

Maybe my terminology is wrong - posting incrementals to a full may be
"rolling-forward".  But, the point is that the recovery log at the
time of a crash is unusable when you must must do a restore from
full/incremental backups.

Is this correct?

Thanks

Rick

In 25 Nov 99, at 21:12, MAES, FRANCIS wrote:

> Now: We are running a RESTORE DB who is very faster (+/- 2/3 done after 8
> hours)
> BUT: I have now to run a point in time DB restore because I had to reformat
> the recoverylog before to start the LOADDB, so, with the Restore DB at the
> last incrback , I loose +/- 12 hours of processing (Expire inventory,
> Migration, Copy to copypool, some clients backups or archives......). There
> will be many inconsistances between the DB and the storagepools. Many AUDIT
> VOLUMEs to do..... with maybe many other bad surprises.
>
> DO NEVER USE THE DUMP - FORMAT - LOAD DB PROCEDURE WITH A BIG DB (> 20 GB)
>
> Pleased to share (bad) experience
>
> Francis

Richard L. Rhodes     e: rhodesr AT firstenergycorp DOT com
Richard L. Rhodes     e: rhodesr AT firstenergycorp DOT com
Ohio Edison Co.       p: 330-384-4904
                      f: 330-384-2514