ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Config for WINS/DNS backup

1999-11-28 01:17:24
Subject: Re: ADSM Config for WINS/DNS backup
From: Russell Street <russells AT AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 19:17:24 +1300
> I am looking for an optimal dsm.opt config file for a daily incremental
> backup
> of a NT DNS/WINS server.
>
> I would like to avoid error msg due to open WINS DB.

The WINS service holds its database files open so ADSM can not read
from them.

There are a number of ways you can backup the WINS data files:

1.  Use "net stop" and "net start" to stop and start the WINS service
either side of the backup window.  Not so hot because you don't get
WINS service when the backup is running.

2.  Set the "Backup Database Path" (in the WINS Manager, Server,
Configuration, Advanced settings).  The WINS server will then
automatically backup its database to the directory you name.

Setting "Backup On Termination" is also a good idea.

Gotchas:
 - the online Help says "every 4 hours".  Reality is every 24 hours.
   There is a KB article which says reality is correct.

 - you need to stop and re-start the WINS service for this to take effect.

 - non-deterministic: backup happens 24 hours *after* the previous
   backup completed.   Your backup happens later and later each day.

 - Having directories open in Windows explorer will cause the backup
   to fail, e.g., if you backup to C:\WINS\BACKUP and have leave the
   window for C:\WINS\BACKUP open on the screen the backup will sliently
   fail.  WINS renames directories as part of the backup and it can
   not do that if the directory is open.

3.  Use WINSCL to perform backups.

WINSCL can be found in the Windows NT resource kit.  It is a command
line tool for managing WINS servers.  It is a quick and dirty program,
with the emphasis on the DIRTY.

For the backup of our WINS services, I use the scheduler in Norton
Anti-Virus to run a batch file just before the backup window starts.
The batch file uses WINSCL to direct the WINS server to backup the
database.  ADSM then backs up that copy of the database.  ADSM has
also been told to exclude the live WINS database.

The BACKUP.BAT batch file contains a single line:

        C:\WINS\WINSCL\WINSCL < BACKUP.SCR > OUTPUT.TXT

BACKUP.SCR contains the commands you have to feed to WINSCL to make it
work.

1
130.216.191.10
BK
1
C:\WINS
EX

You need to include the IP address of the local machine... the thing
won't use a name, nor will it use LOCALHOST/127.0.0.1.

Russell