ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and HSM clients

1999-11-24 11:21:09
Subject: Re: ADSM and HSM clients
From: Ruth Mitchell <mitchell AT TC.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 11:21:09 -0500
On Nov 24, 10:20am, "Richard L. Rhodes" wrote:
}
} I looking for thoughts/comments/opinions (good and bad) about using
} HSM with ADSM.
}
}   Does it work?

Rick,

We've been running an AIX HSM client for a couple of years.
Yes, it works, but there were numerous problems and we applied many
fixes along the way. It was a very rocky road, particularly with regard
to scaling issues. Not very many customers seem to using this client,
so general support from the user community on this list will be
limited. Unless you are a very large site, it may be difficult to
get your specific problems addressed/fixed through the usual support
channels.

}   Are there problems with it?

It works as advertised but you could run into limitations, especially
if you have a large HSM filesystem(s) (>1 million inodes). In particular
dsmreconcile's can take a very long time. It may be best to keep
your filesystem(s) under 500,000 files, and maintain multiple filesystems
if needed.

}   Is it reliable?

It has been reliable for us. Much of this depends on your underlying
hardware configuration and how carefully you have set this up.
There is little to no documentation that I know of discussing
recommended configurations. You're pretty much on your own for this.

}   Is it hard/easy to setup and administer?

Not difficult to setup and configure. Again, you're on your own if
you have special needs. I think the level of administration
will depend on how active and large your system is.

There was a very good HSM presentation given at the Oxford ADSM Symposium.
It may give you some of the background you're looking for especially
if you intend to use HSM on a large scale:
     http://ADSM-symposium.oucs.ox.ac.uk/papers/francis/index.htm

}
} Were interested in these questions in relation to the following
} systems:
}
} 1)  IBM AIX clients.
}
} 2)  NT Server clients (is there a HSM client for NT?).
}
} 3)  Netware clients (is there a HSM client for Netware?).  This is
} actually what were most interested in.  Our netware servers are
} getting too big and have too many unused files that everyone is
} afraid to get rid of.  Our IBM rep indicated that there was a 3rd
} party HSM client for Netware, but I couldn't find any mention of it
} on Tivoli's web site.
}
}
} Thanks
}
} rick
} Richard L. Rhodes     e: rhodesr AT firstenergycorp DOT com
} Ohio Edison Co.       p: 330-384-4904
}                       f: 330-384-2514
}

--Ruth Mitchell