ADSM-L

Re: Speeding up restores

1999-11-22 12:00:09
Subject: Re: Speeding up restores
From: Nathan King <nathan.king AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 11:00:09 -0600
Collocation also helps because you are able to run parallel restores more
effecitvely since there will be no media contention. i.e. restore of
filespace A will not request the same tape as restore of filespace B.
Therefore the overall restore throughput is much better.

As far as the restore of small files. This appears to be a major issue with
Windows NT although no operating systems are free from this problem either.
I believe that a significant bottleneck lies within the NTFS filesystem.
Significant performances improvements can be obtained by using faster disk
and processor on the client.
Earlier this week we restored a 200Gb NTFS drive (a mixture of small 2kf
files and 200Mb large files) in just over 10hrs. For the purpose of the
restore we used a faster FC-AL array as opposed to SCSI-2 and increased from
2 x 200Mhz Pentium Pro to 2  x 500Mhz Xeons. We also raised the
TCPWindowsize to 1024 on the NT Client.

The introduction of the backup set (tivoli 3.7) should help in the cases of
small files, but I haven't done any real tests yet to see what sort of
performance gain is had.

Nathan