ADSM-L

Re: Standalone Restore for Win95/98 PC

1999-11-19 17:33:48
Subject: Re: Standalone Restore for Win95/98 PC
From: Eric LEWIS <eric.lewis AT CCMAIL.ADP.WISC DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 16:33:48 -0600
     Greg:  oops. yes there is a difference between the directory names
     depending on the Windows version.  I answered too hastily.

     My Win98 machine (named LEWISWIN) has the registry in

     C:\adsm98.sys\Registry\LEWISWIN\Machine

     directory, there is a adsm95... for Win95.

     When you look in the dsmsched.log you see the backup happening in two
     steps as follows:

     99 16:12:57 Incremental backup of volume '\\LEWISWIN\C$'
     99 16:12:58 Saving registry keys.
     99 16:15:17 Registry keys saved.
     99 16:16:43 Normal File-->             8,192
     \\lewiswin\c$\adsm98.sys\Registry\LEWISWIN\Machine\Config [Sent]
     99 16:16:43 Normal File-->            57,376
     \\lewiswin\c$\adsm98.sys\Registry\LEWISWIN\Machine\Enum [Sent]
     99 16:16:44 Normal File-->             8,192
     \\lewiswin\c$\adsm98.sys\Registry\LEWISWIN\Machine\Hardware [Sent]

     99 16:16:44 Normal File-->            12,288
     \\lewiswin\c$\adsm98.sys\Registry\LEWISWIN\Machine\Network [Sent]
     99 16:16:45 Normal File-->             8,192
     \\lewiswin\c$\adsm98.sys\Registry\LEWISWIN\Machine\Security [Sent]

     99 16:16:45 Normal File-->         4,145,184
     \\lewiswin\c$\adsm98.sys\Registry\LEWISWIN\Machine\Software [Sent]

     The first step uses the Windows API to read out the registry while the
     OS is active (and fiercely protective of its registry ...) and writes
     it to the adsmxx.sys ... directories, then the backup starts and
     copies the newly written files.

     Eric

Author:  "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>  at IPNET
Date:    11/19/99 5:21 PM

The NT registry files are than stored on the adsm server as
adsm.sys\registry\<filename> and windows 98 are storaged as
adsm98.sys\registry\<filename> ?

Greg