ADSM-L

Re: Using db2 or oracle or whatever for the TSM DB

1999-11-17 18:26:13
Subject: Re: Using db2 or oracle or whatever for the TSM DB
From: Bacchi Matt VENDOR <v2bacchi AT BTV.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 18:26:13 -0500
I agree with Steve.

The ADSM/TSM database structure is a pretty good transaction processor, and I
commend the designers for that.  There is quite a lot of time and manpower
(person-power would be more PC, but I didn't think it'd get my point accross)
invested in the current database by the developers, and it would be a pity to
throw that out the window.  But who says we have to do that.  Let's discuss
the possibility of a third party database as an option, similar to DRM being
an option.  This way, both camps are happy with their product.

The current database also has some shortcomings.  I think that the
introduction of an SQL interface at Version 3 is an example of how
non-standard the design really is.  While we can now query some of the
information using this method, I am suspicious that there is still a great
deal more that is inaccessible.  This would lead me to believe that the SQL
interface was really just a 'kludge'.  So I would hope the re-design of the
database backend and incorporation of a commercial database might allow you to
see the whole picture.

Also, this might lead to the capability to add data to the database.  I have
been in a database corruption situation where we had to go back a week and do a
point in time restore.  We lost a full weeks worth of backups which were _on
tape_ because we couldn't add records back into the ADSM database about
that data.

My suggestion is, don't cut this idea down without giving it some thought.
It might not be useful in your environment, and that's fine, but if it
increased performance by even 10%, I for one would be interested.