ADSM-L

Re: Why does ADSM backup directly to a tapepool

1999-11-16 14:05:26
Subject: Re: Why does ADSM backup directly to a tapepool
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <ADSM AT MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 14:05:26 -0500
WinfriedH wrote, in part..
> does anybody know in which casses ADSM decides to backup a small file directly
> to a tapepool.

When ADSM decides there might not be enough free space available in your
disk pool.

It might seem logical that a QUERY STGPOOL output might tell you how much
space is available, but I know of no command to show you the value ADSM is
actually using!

Many things could be going on:

the small file could be just one piece of a larger aggregate

many backups could be sharing the available free space

ADSM may not be able to deallocate cached files fast enough

Once a file goes not to disk, but to a tape pool, does the rest of the
filesystem follow? I don't know.

To avoid (stuff you already know): larger disk pool, quicker migration, no
file cache.

Hope this helps,

Wayne T. Smith                          ADSM AT Maine DOT edu
ADSM Technical Coordinator - UNET       University of Maine System