ADSM-L

Re: Notes Agent on NT

2015-10-04 17:37:12
Subject: Re: Notes Agent on NT
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

Let me illustrate our concerns with the Notes Agent by sharing some
performance
numbers from a little better than average job run.  It has a single 50GB
array
for Notes which is 50% full (okay 49.8% really) and half of that is
replicated
data from another Notes server, only the replicated data on this server is
being
backed up.  I do not however have any performance stats for the actual NT
server
itself but, we'll probably try to do that sometime soon.  The server lists
1508
filespaces for Notes and we're deleting all mail at 30 days, Notes and ADSM,
giving us 230GB of data on the ADSM server.

Bytes Received Last Session: 743.00 M
Bytes Sent Last Session: 404.11 M
Duration of Last Session (sec): 31,104.56
Pct. Idle Wait Last Session: 6.21
Pct. Comm. Wait Last Session: 2.19
Pct. Media Wait Last Session: 0.00

We have larger Notes servers and the time goes to 10-14 hours which just
doesn't
work for a backup window.  Based on other boxes this size and just using the
BA
client  to backup the files directly it takes about 4-4.5 hours to do a
backup.
The lack of network traffic is nice using the agent but, the twice as long
time
to complete interfers in other operations given the desired 8 hour maximum
backup window.

Steve Fletcher <sfletcher AT GIANTOFMARYLAND DOT COM> on 11/12/99 10:16:44 AM